Hi, I’m Mau and I’m a self-confessed skincare addict. One of the most vivid memories I had as a child is sitting in front of my grandmother’s vanity table watching her massage Oil of Olay into her face regularly. You see, my grandmother had great skin up to her senior years– a gift that unfortunately, was not passed down to me.
Growing up, I’ve suffered from a host of skin issues and although people told me it was only a “phase” that will soon pass, my troubles haunted me well into adulthood. My constant struggle with pimples, blemishes and uneven skin tone has ultimately led me into this road I am now on — skincare addiction.
It didn’t help any when a couple of years later, I first encountered Korean beauty products while exploring the streets of Myeongdong, Seoul. I wasn’t that interested at first, to be honest because KBeauty hasn’t invaded the Philippines yet at that time and I didn’t know anything about it. But really… who could say no to all those cute stores giving lots of freebies? Not me, of course! The porcelain skin everyone seems to be sporting around Korea convinced me to give it a try.
The first Korean beauty I bought was the Skinfood Platinum Grape Seed Toner. The packaging instantly pulled me in right away and the salesperson could not stop singing praises for it. To sum up my thoughts on this product, it is as awesome as it is expensive! I do not remember the price but this definitely opened the gates to my KBeauty addiction.
What hooked me in further was when I started noticing the improvements to my skin. Not long after, people started noticing too and would usually ask me about my skincare routine. Don’t get me wrong, I still had pimples (and I still do now) but it greatly lessened and scars started to fade. From then on, I’ve tried one product after another and my routine grew from using only 1 product up to doing the full 10 steps.
My Skin Type and Troubles
I have very sensitive, acne-prone, combination skin. My skin gets irritated very quickly and even my own sweat and hair have the tendency to leave rashes on my face. As for acne, I still get them quite regularly but not as bad a before. My love for trying out new products often leave me with bad rashes that takes a couple of weeks before it calms down completely.
On top of my usual skin issues, I recently noticed that wrinkles around my smile lines are becoming more prominent. I’m not young anymore and have accepted the fact that I would need skincare products that are formulated to combat the signs of aging.
- Go back to what works! Get to know your skin and have a core routine you can keep coming back to. If you plan to try new products, do it one at a time to easily identify which one does not agree with your skin if you experience issues.
- Invest some time in yourself. Just like having a great body, having beautiful skin needs time and dedication. Take a moment to pamper your skin by going to a spa to get facials or simply using a facial mask with nourishing ingredients. Your skin will thank you for it!
- Make exfoliating a part of your regular routine but don’t overdo it! Too much exfoliation can lead to skin damage and hyper-pigmentation. Research and follow the advised instruction and frequency for optimal result.
- Enjoy the sun the best you can! Living in a tropical country, applying sunscreen is a must but a big misconception is that this is only needed when the sun is shining brightly and can be skipped on overcast days. Over-exposure can lead to uneven skin tone, age spots and even cancer.
- Clean makeup tools = better skin. Dirty makeup brushes and sponges are great breeding grounds for harmful bacteria. By simply ensuring all your tools are clean and free from germs, you are taking a step towards beautiful skin.
Be a SKINspiration
As you explore and try different products, share what worked and what didn’t work for you. One thing that I enjoyed is talking to people about their personal journey. Things can get complicated very quickly with the sheer number of brands and options available out there that have a group or community to discuss these with will make things easier.
Above all else, beauty should not only be skin deep! The secret to being radiant isn’t just clear skin but positive attitude and a beaming smile. Be confident in who you are because you’re awesome! Don’t let a pimple or two make you think otherwise.