I had another bout of skin rashes the other day and I have no idea what caused it. Being someone who tests a multitude of products at a time, the sudden onset of pimples and itchy rashes on my face has become an unwelcome but common undertaking.
The first time I experienced this, I got worried and consulted a dermatologist after several days with the rashes still flaring up. She gave me a couple of tips that worked for me and I still use to this day.
Tips Worthy of a Try
- Choose products that have natural calming ingredients that work for you. In my case, aloe vera and tea tree oil.
- Go back to basics! Establish a simple routine that you know works for you. Once you have a set of core products that you know do not irritate your skin, stick to it.
- Did you know that some active ingredients in your skincare products should NOT be used together? Before investing on a new product, research and make sure the ingredients go well with those you currently use. Retinol, for example, is a great anti-aging ingredient commonly seen in high-end products. It reduces fine lines and plumps skin helping you achieve that youthful glow but the downside to this is that it reacts negatively to Vitamin C, BHAs and AHAs. Using them together can lead to rashes and uneven skin texture.
- It is important to keep your face clean and free from germs but washing it too much especially with drying facial cleansers strip away natural protective oils from your skin making it dry and itchy. Apply moisturizer that is fragrance and paraben free right after washing to avoid this.
- If problem persists, consult a professional dermatologist. Self-medication could worsen the situation.
Here’s my current routine before I go to bed. I try more stuff on regular days but for when my skin needs a break, I find myself always coming back to what works. After a couple of days on this routine, my face significantly improves and my rashes all go away.
- Aritaum 91% No-Wash Cleansing Water – Makeup remover specifically designed for hypersensitive skin. Made up of 91% aloe vera, this product is free of parabens and mineral oils that can irritate the skin.
- Skinfood Black Sugar Perfect First Serum – A multi-functioning serum with black sugar extract that exfoliates, hydrates and soothes skin.
- LeeJiham Tea Tree 90 Essence – Made up of 90% Tea tree extract, this essence is perfect for calming and reducing common skin issues such as pimples, hypersensitivity and large pores. A certified Kbeauty cult favorite!
- Physiogel Calming Relief Face Cream – Prescribed to me by my dermatologist and a product she uses personally. Like the others, it is paraben, fragrance and mineral oil free making it great for those with sensitive skin. Until now, I’ve tried a lot of moisturizers to find one that’s better but I end up coming back to this.
Without fail, this routine has worked for me time and time again. I try to take products that have acids as active ingredients when my face is in recovery mode to calm down my skin and avoid further irritation. I know I can just stick to this routine but it’s become a joy of mine to try different products and having these to always come back to is a blessing!